So instead of writer’s block I think I’ve had writer’s apathy. I could say that I’ve been spending that time more effectively, but I probably just converted it to reading more of RvF more than anything else. While I definitely have gained insight and there has been some positive net effect of reading the forum, I can’t say my self improvement has benefited dramatically. I got a couple comments from Riv and Waldershmidt, they were wondering where I’d gone as far as WP. Here’s an update on my summer:
* Re-injured myself but not as bad. Gotta figure out a way to pay for surgery and recovery. Had to deal with a couple weeks of not being able to do that much. Now I can’t do hard sports but I can go to the gym.
* Have not been hitting the gym or eating that well.
* Have gained significant weight (10-15 lbs) and not any of it muscle. This is a major problem.
* Lost my roommate (best roommate I’ve had so far).
* Haven’t changed my main job, staffing has been a problem so I’ve been working even harder.
* Had some major drama with a neighbor over a business deal gone sour. Not really a lot my fault, but I had to deal with a lot of bullshit for an ever increasingly small piece of the profit. Painful lesson learned.
* Lost use of the really nice massage table I had, stopped giving massages for side money to friends (more of a loss in my forearm strength than dollars, but it also helps clear my head to massage).
* Picked up another company to work side gigs for. Not a huge amount of income, but useful income.
* Clients have been good at my main job so I’ve been working a lot but at least making more.
* Good client at my work and my family members helped me out logistically so I could have the opportunity to make a family reunion, wedding, and multiple other events that looked near impossible otherwise.
* While traveling I managed to rent out my 2nd bedroom with the help of my friend who owns a business nearby which made it possible for me to live without a roommate for the rest of the summer by paying for the 2nd room and then some. I also negotiated for free entry and possible VIP meet and greet with a huge artist for me +3.
* While traveling I also managed to network/connect a brand owner and the same business owner friend for a very financially beneficial solution for both of them.
* I spent a lot of time with my dad.
* I’ve been getting back into spearfishing/freediving as a low impact sport that also gets me in shape and feeds me.
* I majorly upgraded my patio/BBQ area so I can hang and look out at the ocean and host more friends in a nicer spot.
* I’ve hosted some awesome birthday and holiday parties as well as some good BBQs and other get togethers.
* Girl I’m in a relationship with continues to do and be all the things that I got into a relationship with her for in the first place. This has been really great.
At the moment I’m torn between getting a new long-term roommate and continuing to try to hustle the 2nd bedroom for shorter term stays that makes it pay for itself. I’m worried that as the busy season slows (it already has) I may not be able to cover the expense of the 2nd bedroom without a long-term roommate.
My biggest issues remain my lack of organization/financial planning, fitness, and lack of better employment. The surgery I need is definitely significant, but I don’t have to correct that immediately and I would rather change my employment before doing that. I’ll be posting here more regularly to chronicle my improvement in those areas as I think it’s a good spot to do it. I kind of stopped posting because I was dating one girl and things have been great, so I felt that there was nothing really to write about, but I created this for self-improvement in multiple areas, that one just happened to be the topic I initially focused on.
Thanks for reminding me about this part of the community. I am also sad to say I didn’t make the meetup that dannyfrom504 had. I hope to visit him one day if he’s still contactable, I know his plan was to leave his site up (thank you Danny!) to have the advice/knowledge be accessible and I hope he continues with that as well as his plan to kind of go off the reservation and live a life more suited to his current desires. Actually, I just stopped writing this to go look to see if his site was still up. I see that it is and there were a couple posts I hadn’t read. Glad to hear he’ll have a new site. Anyone know what it is? Riv? Yohami?
I just wrote a list of about 20-30 things I should be working on every day until they’re done. Some small, some not small at all. It’s a start.